Tuesday, August 10, 2010

What would you do if your husband doesn't want you to be friends with your ex-husband's family?

I have a huge problem. I divorced my ex-husband in 2003 after 7 years of marriage do to cheating, disrespect. I do not miss him, don't ever want him again. I don't ask about him, I don't care to know how he is doing..NOTHING. Well, my new husband is insecure because he really has a problem with me still being friends with my ex-family. I am still friends with my ex's family. His sisters and niece still consider me family. We talk on the phone sometimes, we send each other encouraging e-mails, and every so often we meet for lunch or dinner. Mind you, my ex is never with them when the girls and I get together. They don't include him in any way when we make plans. I am a stay home mom, and I don't go out much at all (he doesn't want me to go anywhere). Every few months, the girls and I may get together and my husband gets really upset. He thinks that we shouldn't be friends. I am torn and I think he is controlling. Please tell me what you think. No rude/stupid answers plz.What would you do if your husband doesn't want you to be friends with your ex-husband's family?
Your husband is being controlling, because he's insecure....you got him that way, you didn't make him that way by talking to your ex's family..... You divorced your ex, not his family. I'm very close to certain members of my ex's family myself. Especially my niece. No one has ever suggested that I not be (BTW, why did this not come up before marriage.......now I think he's a manipulator as well as a control freak)..If anyone suggested to me that I break the bond I have with my niece, I'd probably die laughing. What he's suggesting is so ridiculous that you can't possibly give into it. I think that you'd be making his issues worse if you catered to that. I could see if your ex's family was interfering in your marriage, there's plenty of scenarios I can imagine that your husband's suggestion (not being friends with them) would make good sense. Unfortunately, this isn't even close to one of them. Please, for your own sake, do not give in to him on this....I'm sorry to say, he sounds like he has huge potential to be an abuser and this should be a huge red flashing light for you. Emotionally, I think he's abusing you now. Set precedent with him now, before he gets even further out of control.What would you do if your husband doesn't want you to be friends with your ex-husband's family?
Your husband is overstepping the boundaries. He must have known this about you before you were married. Just because you are married doesn't mean that you should have to change yourself in ways that don't feel right to you solely to accomodate him and his insecurities. If you don't put your foot down, he will continue to find ways to control you. I think you should try to find a way to become less dependent on him so that you don't feel obligated to give in to his demands. For example, get a job, even if all you can do is part time, to help pay the bills. Really, I know it might be challenging, having kids to care for and all, but where there's a will, there's a way. There's nothing wrong with you staying in touch with your ex's family. You're doing nothing wrong that way. But you're doing yourself wrong if you don't respect yourself enough to stand up for what feels right to you.
time for you to decide what is more impt-----maybe down the road ur hubby will come to understand that ur friendship with ur ex's family is not a threat to ur marriage--in the meantime go along with him....
I have experienced the same thing from the your husbands perspective, and I have to say that it can be hurtful. I think it's okay to be cordial to them, but you are not a part of their family anymore.
your husband can't choose your friendships,but you married him and your partner should be first and if you love him,you should care about his feelings too.
Well, he married you not your ex's family...and on the other-hand you divorce your ex not his family..


I suggest having them over to meet your husband and let him get to know them first before judging them, It's alll about trust and being that their your ex's family, I believe he just is concerned about your well-being.





Tell him we are all families of someone's ex's but that should not matter...
I dunno, just like when you get married, you marry your spouse's family, seems like the reverse would be true in a divorce, especially one where he was unfaithful to you. The only way I would see it making sense is if he is completely cut off from the rest of his family.





It just sounds wierd to me to begin with, so I'm not sure why you're willing to make waves with your new husband over it. If that's what you call controlling, and you think he's being insecure, I think you're already off to a troublesome start with marriage #2.
NUMBER ONE WHEN YOU MARRIED HIM HE BECAME YOUR FAMILY AND NUMBER ONE. I KNOW WHEN YOU ARE USE TO A FAMILY IT IS HARD TO LET GO BUT PUT THE SHOES ON THE OTHER FOOT AND I DO NOT THINK YOU WOULD BE THAT HAPPY EITHER. WHAT IT BOILS DOWN TO IS RESPECT. YOUR HUSBAND COMES BEFORE ANY BODY ELSE.
What exactly attracted you to this guy?? Sounds like he has some major insecurity issues. I wouldn't put up with that bull.
He is being controling. You said yourself he doesn't want you going anywhere. These people were you family for several years. They didn't cheat on you, your ex did. You can't just turn your feelings off for them. He needs to grow up and stop being so insecure. You are a grown woman and should be treated as such. You need to have a heart to heart with him and let him know he cannot controll everything you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment